Skip to main content

Installing a Nelson-Rigg C2016 Tank Bag on the FTR 1200

I have been commuting on the FTR 1200 every day that I don't need a lot of tools for the job. Luckily, that has been about 80% of the days since I bought it. I use a Miltec backpack to carry my laptop, AC adapter, wireless mouse and a few other essentials and it works great, but I still needed someplace for a lunch bag, some water bottles, and other miscellaneous items.

I have had a Nelson-Rigg tank bag on the Ducati for years and it still looks like new so I bought a CL-2016 bag for the FTR 1200. It's the largest bag Nelson-Rigg makes and fits the FTR perfectly. I can turn the bars lock to lock without hitting the bag and it stops right at the end of the "gas tank".

Installation

The bag comes with two straps. One has a loop sewn in with two quick-release buckles. This is used at the rear of the bag. The second strap is straight with a quick release buckle on each end and is used at the front.

The instructions said to slip the straight strap through the frame by the triple clamps and then adjust it to fit. The problem on the FTR is that the airbox is where the fuel tank normally sits and there are molded rubber pieces that cover the frame near the steering stem.



Because of that, there is no access to slip the strap through. After looking at it for a while, I decided to tug on the molded rubber piece and it popped right off! There are two posts on the frame that push into holes in the intakes. Below is a picture of the frame with the intakes removed. With both sides off it was easy to feed the strap through.




 Here is a photo of the rubber intake off the bike.


There are also plastic covers in front of the tank side covers. The strap fits between the frame and the cover and worked perfectly to hold the bag in place.

With the intake removed you can clearly see the air filter by looking into the gap created by removing the intake.

Here is a photo of the front straps installed. I rode up to the mountains today without the bag and the straps didn't flop around at all.



To mount the rear straps you need to remove the seat. This is a simple process and only requires removing two 6mm cap screws. Once the seat is off, loop the strap around the front seat support (sits above the fuel pump), connect the quick release buckles to the tank and adjust the length of the strap.



I like the straps to be very tight so that the bag doesn't remove around. It takes a little time to get them just right. I am still able to remove the bag with little effort and the bag doesn't move around while riding. Here is a photo of the rear straps after installation and adjustment.


Charging the phone 

Once the bag was mounted I ran into a problem with the USB cable's connector hitting the bag. I found a cable on Amazon called "McDodo 90° Light Cable" that has a reversible USB connector at a 90 degree angle. I use an iPhone and the lightning end is also at 90°. It was hitting the bag also. The McDodo cable solved the problem.


How It Looks Mounted

The bag is large and takes up all of the airbox cover. You do have to remove the bag to fill the tank.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FTR 1200 Progressive Suspension Setup

Scott from Progressive Suspension in Hesperia, CA contacted me and asked if they could borrow the FTR 1200 for a couple days. They wanted to take measurements and figure out what improvements could be made. I said sure and dropped it off right before going on vacation. Scott was great to work with and kept me updated on their progress. When I picked it up, he went over what they discovered. The manual called out for 8mm of preload on the shock for my weight and I had it set at about 8.5. Scott said 17mm would be much better for a 200lb rider. I was a little skeptical but I have found that anytime a professional suspension tech sets my bike up it works well. Scott also backed the compression damping all the way out. The rebound was set to 5 clicks out. Here is a photo of the shock preload collar set at 17mm. You can see a big difference from the stock setting. Scott also set the fork preload to the maximum. The preload adjuster has 10 turns of preload. I had set it to 5 tur

My new Indian FTR 1200 Race Replica

After a long, long wait I finally have my Indian Motorcycles FTR 1200 Race Replica! I saw the original FTR1200 custom on the "American Flat Track" series on NBC Sports. I thought it was the coolest motorcycle I had ever seen. I went to the Indian Motorcycle web site and signed up to be notified if it was going to actually go into production. As soon as I got the email, I went Indian Motorcycles of Redlands, CA and put a deposit down. Robert kept me up to date on estimated shipping dates and days when they had one for a demo ride. Update - On August 19th, I got a large package from Indian Motorcycle of Redland. I opened it and found a beautiful plaque inside! Indian's marketing department did a great job during the long wait, posting videos of the design process including interviews with the engineers and managers involved. I bet I watched the " Design and Development " video 20 times! Here is a link to the " Inspiration " video and fin